So it's that time of year where people are dropping like flies to the seasons colds and flu!! And those with lowered immune systems are even more at risk of catching something. In this day and time it seems like doctors just want to through antibiotics or antihistamines at you. So what can we do more Naturally to help reduce our chances of getting sick. And also reduce our symptoms should we catch something. 1. Lets start with the easiest and probably most well known way to combat illness. SOAP!! I've talked about the importance of hand washing in a previous blog on how to wash your hands so I won't go into great details. I will say that over the last few years there has been a discussion about the benefit and safety of using anti-bacterial soap. It is thought that it could cause resistance. So until they prove otherwise its best to use just plain soap. I've gone in-depth on when you should wash your hands in a previous post "5 Quick Tips to Avoid Illness," so I won't do that here. Just know the more you wash your hands the healthier you will most likely be
Handmade soap can be made easily by mixing one-quarter Castile soap with three-quarters parts water and 5 drops of peppermint or your favorite essential oils.
2. HERBAL TEA- Black and Green teas are said to be high in antioxidants, which will help reduce free radical toxins in the body to decrease frequency and degree of cold symptoms.
This is all new to me as I'm not a tea drinker. That being said Herbal Tea is ideal for rehydrating your body, due to the fact that they don't contain caffeine. And due to the fact that they are high in anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties.
Mullein Teas are an excellent if you are dealing with a lot of nasal or chest congestion. As Mullein teas act as an expectorant and may help suppress cough!
To make, steep Mullein leaves for 10minutes. Drain the leaves, and sip on warm tea!
3. HOMEMADE CHICKEN SOUP- Homemade Chicken soup when it is made with organic chicken and vegetables is chalked full of antioxidants, protein, fiber and carbohydrates. I know your saying what?!? All we hear is how bad carbs are for us. But when you are sick carbohydrates gives your body the energy it needs to fight of a cold or flu.
4. This next one is also something I would have never thought of. However, BLACK PEPPER contains Capsaicin as an active ingredient. This ingredient works by thinning mucous and provides congestion relief. This is also new to me. But, Black Pepper is also needed for the absorption of the natural potent reliever or spice Tumereic. This can also be taken for the cold and flu! Also, adding pepper to food may help clear congestion. Some even claim that just smelling pepper w couple times a day can't help to reduce congestion. (Or just make you sneeze, which I supposed would make you less congestion.)
5. Using Red Onion is another tactic that I wasn't familiar with. Red Onion is a prebiotic, which is the fuel that probiotics need in order to do their job at their maximum capacity! Probiotics help along the growth and development of what's called a healthy 'Microbiome.' Which is where the approximately SEVENTH percent of our immune system lives.
When we have a healthy gut, the immune system is better equipped to handle any cold or flu we might contract.
To use red onion add to the chicken soup I mentioned above, or make a "soup" out of them by soaking the onion in raw honey overnight. On could treat a sore throat by drinking a spoonful of this syrup mixture daily.
6. Another option from your kitchen that can help you fight a cold is BAKING SODA! Using baking soda has been a treatment for the common find for centuries. It is used because it balances the pH levels in a person's body.
The thought process behind using baking soda for the common cold, is that the cold and its germs will cause the bodies pH to move and become more acidified. While the backing powder pushes the blood in said person's body to go back to a more alkaline level. Thus balancing the person's pH level!
How would I use this?? To use, dissolves one-half teaspoon baking soda in a glass of cool water and drink the mixture 6 times a day! As the symptoms of the cold start to subside you can gradually reduce the frequency of baking soda.
7. RAW HONEY- Who knew?!?!?! Raw honey is very useful for soothing a sore throat. It also has been found to have antibacterial properties that works well to wipe out germs and enzymes that help to keep our energy levels up!! During a coughing fit raw honey should add a dew tablespoons of raw honey to hit tea or eat it by the spoonful.
NOTE-** Always make sure that the honey you purchase is organic and unfiltered. This is so it's vital nutrients stay intact. Any processes goney has been heated to such high temps that's all the vital healing nutrients have been stripped!
8. GINGER- Natural Ginger has anti-inflammatory, antiviral, antioxidant that may be helpful in getting over a cold quick!
It also works very well for settling an upset stomachs that could be accompanied by nausea &/or diarrhea! It can be taken raw, in supplements found at most health food stores. You can also drink ginger tea with honey and lemon. Or you could even prepare a paste made with ginger and cloves.
9. GARLIC- Most wouldn't think of using Garlic, that being said garlic contains a vital and antibacterial properties that can be useful for getting rid of the common cold. Research has shown that Gariic boosts the immune system, opening up the respiratory passages, and help glue toxins from the body.
How do I use it? Garlic can be eating raw or added into stir-fry. In order to make the flavor more palatable, combine one crushed garlic, two teaspoons of lemon juice, with some raw money and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Some also prefer to boil water and drink along with a teaspoon of raw honey, may make the taste more bearable.
10. LEMON- Research has shown that Lemon has many antibacterial properties that make it so amazing at killing germs. Also, proven by research has been shown to weaken the common cold and reduce congestion!! The lemon also works as a potent blood purifier ans is very high in Vitamin C. In case you aren't familiar Vit C is needed to combat free radicals and restores the immune system! A person can also benefit when they have the cold by sucking in a slice of lemon in order to get rid of a sore throat. The same thing can be done but adding fresh squeezed lemon juice to water or hot tea as well!!
I know I learned a trick or two I will start using to combat the colds I always get. I hope that you as well find some of this information and can implement and head the common cold off before it gets to bad.
If you do use any of these please leave me comment and tell me which one you chose.
Feel free to share this post with others or in your groups by using the share buttons on the left side of the screen.