Chronically Cooking | Chicken Tortilla Soup & Banana Bread
One of my main goals for 2019 is to spend more time in the kitchen. And no not necessarily eating, but cooking as well. So I’ve been looking for and trying new recipes. In fact I made a couple really good dishes recently and thought I would share them and the stories behind them with you.
Years ago the hospital I worked in while I was going to nursing school started serving chicken tortilla soup. I hadn’t ever had it before and was hesitant to try it. But everyone I worked with raved about it. So i have in and it was SOOOO good. That being said all these years since I’ve had soup that was similar but none was better. That was until last month when I ended up creating my own recipe. I had been craving chicken tortilla soup and couldn’t find a recipe that i really liked. So I pretty much wrote my own ans I made this one a few weeks ago for the fam and it was a HIT. So I knew I had to share with this fam.
Ambers Chicken Tortilla Soup
-1 package of mild taco seasoning
- 1 10oz can of mild diced tomatoes & green chilies
-1 12 oz package of frozen corn
-2 15 oz cans of drained black beans
- 1 14 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- Shredded chicken (I use a rotisserie chicken and just shred it)
- 32oz of chicken broth
- sweet onion chopped
- minced garlic to taste
- salt, pepper, and garlic salt to taste
- Sour cream, shredded cheese and your favorite tortilla chips to top the soup.
•Combine all ingredients in to a large pan.
•Once they are combine and stirred thoroughly, bring to a boil.
•Once the reach a rolling boil turn the heat down and let it simmer covered for 25 min, stirring occasionally.
**Serve topped with sour cream, shredded cheese and tortilla chips.
*** I made this very mild but if you and your family like more spice you can easily add that with more green peppers or habaneros.
One of my favorite memories growing up was cooking and baking with my grandma. And she made the best banana bread. This last week I finally perfected my banana bread recipe and got it to taste just like Grandmas. I know I could just ask her for the recipe but baking by trial and error has been more fun. When you look at the recipe you will notice that I added in the healthier options (almond flour, unsweetened applesauce and coconut sugar) to the recipe in case any of you would like those options. I actually use applesauce a LOT In place of butter and honestly you can’t tell a difference. If you decide to try using applesauce, make sure to cut the butter amount in half to know how much applesauce to use.
Just Like Grandmas Banana Bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (almond flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 c unsweetened applesauce (1/2c butter)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (coconut sugar)
- 2 eggs beaten
- 3 overripe bananas
• Preheat your oven to 350°F and lightly grease one 9x5 loaf pan
• Mash Up the bananas using a fork, wire mashed or pastry blender and set aside
• Combine flour, baking soda and salt into a large bowl and set aside.
• In a medium sized bowl cream together applesauce (butter) and choice of sugar, stir in eggs and mashed bananas until the mixture is well blended
• Stir banana mixture into flour mixture and stir just until moistened.
• Pour batter into prepared baking dish.
• Bake In The 350°F for 60-65 minutes (times will vary depending on oven), until an inserted toothpick comes out clean
• Let bread cool in pan for ten minutes and then flip out onto a wire rack.
**Serve warm with a pat of butter for best taste.
I really hope you enjoy when I share recipes. As I said above one of my goals this year has been to try to cook more. Even if that means asking for more help. Or sitting while cooking. Cooking, like most other things in life, when chronically ill can be really hard. But I find it to be super relaxing and is something I truly love. I would love to know if you like these posts and if you try either of my recipes. If you like these posts please like this post below. And if you end up trying one of these recipes please comment and let me know how they turned out!!!